Thursday, October 05, 2006

I went looking for a house today. In the last few years I have shifted house thrice and each time it has been an experience. Recently a friend told me that a priest had advised her to meet people who -"are unlike youself, so that you can "undo" yourself "so that the passage to 'grace' is easier. Since i am not a very spiritual person the whole effort of dealing with people who are unlike me sounds quite unnecessary. As it is there are very few people like me in this world and seeking them out seems more interesting-grace or no grace!But priests have to say something if you go to them and giving an option like meeting people unlike you can be easily achieved, so the business of spirituality, religion run unabated and everyone is happy at least for a bit. Another very close friend of mine is obsessed with 'otherness' and difference' these days seeking it out desperately. am told it helps the 'self' to survive. Being non-philosophical and non-spiritual, I cant get into the depth of his need, but as far as i can see, "otherness" has not done his "self" much good. But i must be shallow and with not many transcendental aspirations. But speaking of difference, house- hunting has made me acquainted with a 'different" breed of human, quite unlike me. Is this my chance to undo myself? find my self?
where do property dealers come from? what do they feel? what do they think? some of these questions can be irrelevant with reference to property dealers, especially the last two. but still, being a critic, I cant really cant stop wondering, always trying find some pattern that I can unravel, looking into the heart of things. Postmodernists talk about the "surface" in very deep and complicated ways. Could they be talking about property dealers?

No comments: